HEYWOOD MEMORIAL GARDENS
Heywood War Memorial lies in Heywood Memorial Gardens opposite the Parish Church of St Luke the Evangelist, and was originally erected "To the men of Heywood who gave their lives" during the First World War, but later, the Second World War. It is a grey granite cenotaph decorated with wreaths and crosses. Standing in front of the cenotaph with a bowed head is a bronze female figure holding a laurel wreath to symbolise peace. It was sculpted by Walter Marsden.
Heywood War Memorial was commissioned by the Heywood War Memorial Committee and unveiled on 22 August 1925 by Hewlett Johnson, the Dean of Manchester. The roll of honour was not engraved on the memorial at the time of its unveiling owing to a lack of funds. Lobbying by the Heywood branch of the Royal British Legion secured a grant from Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council to cover the £5,000 required; names from both world wars were engraved in 1986.
A new memorial wall behind the War Memorial was dedicated on 26th September 2009. The arc-shaped granite memorial was imported from China. The design enables the continuation of the messages from the existing structure, which is surrounded by names on all sides. There are three crests on the front of both end faces representing the Navy, the Army, Royal Air Force, Merchant Navy, Royal Fleet Auxiliary and the Heywood town crest. The memorial includes the words: "Dedicated to the men and women of the armed forces who lost their lives in the service of their country since World War II. In near and far off lands they paid the supreme sacrifice. We will remember them."
Four World War commemorative benches were installed in the gardens and dedicated in the Battle of the Somme centenary anniversary commemorative Service held as part of the Heywood 1940s Day on Saturday the 18th June 2016.